Thursday, November 01, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten: Halloween Costumes (2012 Edition)

As you may know, I love Halloween.  It is, without question, the greatest holiday of the year, and anyone who refuses to dress up is a fuddy duddy.  I'm sorry to be so harsh, but it needs to be said.

My weekend was a good one.  Thursday night, Jester, Daughter, and I carved some pumpkins.  Once again, I got some stencils from Zombie Pumpkins.  At Daughter's request, Jester chose Bruce, the shark from Finding Nemo. 
I went with the Samhain skull, which was hard to get a good photo of, but here you go:
Friday night, I went to a concert with my buddies Daniel and Chandler.  Every year, at one of a couple local live music venues, on both Halloween weekend nights, there are local bands playing tribute sets as other bands.  They dress up as the bands and, in the case of some, even talk like the band members.  This year, Halloweekend (as it's called) was at Martyr's.  Here was the Friday night line-up:

Vlad the Impaler as Black Sabbath
Bon Mots as Bad Company
The BuckStops as The Police
Dolly Varden as Fleetwood Mac
Johnny & The Creeps as Donovan
Dirty Pigeons as The Moody Blues

The show itself was awesome.  Every band was great, even the ones who were pretending to be bands I don't necessarily listen to all that much of.  The last three were especially good.  The Police are a really tough band to cover, both musically and vocally, but they nailed it.  Bad Company was awesome.  Right before they went on, I over heard the lead singer say to some friends, "time to make some panties drop," and then headed onto stage and presumably did just that.  I wasn't wearing panties myself, but if I had been, I definitely would have dropped them.  Black Sabbath was the last act, and they kicked ass.  Here is a picture of Ozzy about to be engulfed in smoke:
Fearing I would be ostracized from myself if I didn't dress up as a rocker, Friday night, I went as Lemmy from Motörhead. 
In years past, when I have dressed up as a rock star, I have acted the part, drinking my wife's contact lenses (allegedly) as Ace Frehley in 2006 and passing out standing up as Slash in 2010.  Given that Lemmy is 66 years old and it's damn near impossible to drink large quantities of alcohol with a fake mustache on, I was relatively tame.  Sure, I spoke in a gravely, often indecipherable British accent, drank whiskey, smoke Reds, and had sex with over 1,000 women, but I didn't black out or anything.

After the show, I went to Rocks, hoping to sing "Ace of Spades" at karaoke.  Much to my chagrin, there was no karaoke at Rocks Friday night, probably because too many minds would have been blown.  People and creatures I have known for years didn't recognize me, which was kind of funny.

Saturday, we took the kids trick-or-treating on Lincoln Avenue in North Center, where a bunch of the local businesses were handing out candy.  That was pleasant, although not as pleasant was watching the Hoosiers stomp Illinois, giving Kevin Wilson his first Big Ten win as IU's head coach.  In case you're wondering, the Hoosiers control their own destiny in the Big Ten Leaders Division.  If they win out –- which would only be their first five-game winning streak since 1987 -- then they will play in the Big Ten championship game.  If they win that, then they are Rose Bowl bound.  It's just that easy, folks.  Make it happen, Hoosiers.  Needless to say, the losses to Michigan State and Ohio State by a combined 7 points hurt right now.  If those and the last-minute losses to Ball State and Navy by a combined 3 points go the other way, IU would be 6-1 right now.  Maybe next year.  This year, I'm just focused on getting to the Rose Bowl.

Saturday night, Gregerson and his special ladyfriend Colleen (who are living in sin, mind you) threw a Halloween party.  The food and drink options were spectacular.  Or should I say spooktacular?  No, that doesn't really make sense.  I'll just go with spectacular.  They had deviled eggs that looked like eyes, a pumpkin vomiting guacamole, and a birthday cake honoring the facts that I've been alive for, gulp, 35 years.  A quarter of my life is over now, people.
In addition to your standard beer and booze, they made pudding shots.  Yes, pudding shots.  They were in the following flavors:  white Russian, black Russian, mud slide, and pumpkin cheese cake.  I made jello shots with limoncello, which were pretty awesome if I do say so myself.  Someone else brought "apple pie shots."  He boiled apple cider with cinnamon sticks, strained it, let it cool, and then added everclear.  The result was a shot that tasted like really good apple cider.  You couldn't even taste the alcohol.  It was a teenage date rapist's dream.

For the party, despite it being too damn hot, Gregerson was a penguin, so naturally, I was Billy Madison.
Last night, we took the kids trick-or-treating for real.  I went as the grim reaper, while Daughter went as Ariel from the Little Mermaid, and Lollipop (at Daughter's insistence) was a crab.  Daughter is really into aquatic life, apparently.
Here are the top ten costumes I saw this weekend (other than my own).

Honorable mention:
Peter Griffin 
Dead Captain America
Whatever this is
Beer man and '70s drug dealer lady
The fact that he carried a 12-pack of Hamm's around his neck for most of the night is impressive.
Jim Morrison
Notice the authentic toxin-induced sway.
Paulie Bleeker from Juno
It would make even more sense if you saw his wife, who is pregnant.
10.  Alex DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange
9.  Svengoolie
I didn't get a picture, but some chick Friday night dressed up as local Chicago late-night horror personality Svengoolie.  It was disturbingly spot-on.

8.  Swan
Jester played along with me, even though she hates dressing up.  She made a swan costume, pretty much only so that I could yell "Stop looking at me, swan" whenever she looked at me.  It didn't get old.
7.  Price is Right contestants
Looks like Kaila is ready to play some Plinko!  And looks like Ryan is a serial rapist.
6.  Former Penn State assistant coach and whistle blower Mike McQueary
He certainly didn't want to ruin anyone's weekend.
5.  Secret Service agents
Notice the coke-stained noses and bras, panties, and condoms.
4.  Buster from Arrested Development and the one-armed seal that ate his hand
Sure, they had to explain it to everyone, but it was still awesome.
3.  Raspberry beret
It was even the kind that you'd find in a second-hand store, as you can tell by the style of price tag.
2.  Miller High Life logo
The champagne of costumes.
1.  French KISS
I did not actually see this, nor do I know who these people are, but Kaila forwarded this to me, and Ace Frehley wept because he hadn't thought of it first.

No comments: